The Canadian Forum is made up of members from the seven state organization provinces of Canada: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Ontario, Québec and Saskatchewan.
Twice in odd-numbered years, the Forum meets in conjunction with the Northeast and Northwest regional conferences, and once in even-numbered years, at the international convention. The Area Representative - Canada serves a chair of the Canadian Forum.
The Goals of the Canadian Forum are:
- To promote awareness of local, regional and interprovincial educational issues in Canada.
- To study educational issues, Canadian or International, that impact Canadian members and their commumities, and to take action on said issues as appropriate;
- To provide networking opportunities in the interest of shared understanding between and among Canadian members;
- To involve Canadian members of DKG in a Canada-wide educational project; and,
- To provide Canadian members the opportunitiy to develop a shared sense of purpose within the Society.
- Each biennium, the members of the Canadian Forum vote to support an educational project in the form of a five dollar donation per Canadian member. For the 2016-2018 biennium, the selected project is Mentoring in Nepal. More information about this project can be found by subscribing to the Canadiana Online Group on the DKG Network.
IWEN (Intercultural Women’s Education Network)
IWEN is DKG Canada’s two year project (2016 – 2018). Its mission is to raise awareness of the importance of and increase access to education for (primarily) marginalized females, by funding education programs in Nepal, Canada, and other countries. Canadian members are supporting the project in Nepal entitled "Empowerment Through Education" (ETE). ETE has been IWEN’s key program since 2007 and has been their main thrust this fall.
IWEN assists young girls with their education to keep them out of the slave workforce and empowers women to become indepedent through village women's groups and the establishment of businesses. Since 2005 IWEN has provided educational scholarships for over 259 females in rural Nepal and Kathmandu Valley through the generosity of IWEN sponsors.
DKG members have contributed over $12,000 through donations and the purchase of scarves produced and sold by IWEN developed business women at the Northwest Regional Conference in 2015.
DKG Canada Supports IWEN 2014-2016 (2).pdf
For more information about the Canadian Forum, or for information about Canadiana Online, contact Joan Wolfe, Canadian Forum Chair.