- I am a state organization president. What are my responsibilities during the 2016 International Convention in Nashville?
Each state organization president should arrive no later than Monday, July 4, 2016 in Nashville. There is a general meeting for state organization presidents at 7:30 p.m., July 4 (all meeting and banquet rooms will be designated in the printed convention program and on the DKG APP) with the international president and administrative board. At that time the state organization photograph schedule will be discussed. Following the general meeting, presidents will break into regions to meet with their respective regional director. On Tuesday, July 5, state organization presidents will participate in the Executive Board Meeting which begins at 8:45 a.m. A continental breakfast is provided for the Executive Board beginning at 7:30 a.m. The Credentials table for the Board opens at 8:00 a.m. Each member of the Board must sign in at the Credentials table before the meeting. At noon, there is an Executive Board luncheon for those who have purchased a ticket for the event. The afternoon session of the Board begins at 1:30 p.m. State organization presidents participating in the flag ceremony have a rehearsal at 4:30 p.m. The opening session of the convention starts at 7:00 p.m. On Wednesday, July 6, state organization presidents will attend the morning general session and will have a special invitation only breakout session with Mike Figliuolo from 1:00–2:45 p.m. On Thursday, July 7, each president should attend the general session, the appropriate Forum session and the “Be the Change” Luncheon. On Friday, July 8, each president should participate in the election process proceeding each regional breakfast. Prior to the election, presidents will have met with state organization members to understand their preferences. Election tables open at 6:30 a.m. Also on Friday is the 4th general session. On Saturday, July 9, presidents will attend the Celebration of Life, the general session, the Executive Board Luncheon (if a ticket has been purchased) and the Executive Board Meeting which begins at 1:00 p.m. All state organization presidents will be presented during the “Passages” Banquet on Saturday evening.
- Our state organization wants to formalize training for all new state organization/chapter officers and committee chairs. What should be the key components for the training and how will your state organization/chapter continue to support, coach and mentor? This will generate a committee and implementation.
• Form a State Organization Committee: i.e. Each state organization president – trains incoming chapter presidents and all state organization officers and state organization committee chair – train the incoming corresponding officers and chairs.
• Formal Training Day – part of the training – succession for future DKG sisters in this same position
• Expand the Leadership Roles & Responsibilities to every member (Leader in Every Chair) Build and Support each and every member – every meeting!!!! Everyone is a leader!
• Build into your budget partial financial support so that all appropriate members can attend.
• Leadership Academy - possible
• After training – communication and documentation for follow up and keep the dialogue going and across the whole state organization/chapters, committee, etc. (Whatever is applicable).
• Summative Report of what was done, possible issues, and potential next steps at State Organization Convention
- I am a new member of DKG. How can I take a leadership role?
• Engage yourself in your chapter activities and volunteer for different chapter/state organization tasks.
• Participate in the leadership training opportunities available in your state organization
• Participate in regional conferences and international conventions and whenever possible offer to have a workshop there.
• Volunteer to become a member of a chapter and/or state organization committee
- How can my chapter provide programs so that DKG members can earn continuing education be part of their personal or professional continuous growth?
Contact your state organization to determine if an application to be a State Organization Professional Development Provider has been completed. Secure a copy of your state organization’s rules regarding Professional Development for Licensure Renewal. (sample)
Make sure the activity aligns to the Learning Forward national standards for professional learning. http://learningforward.org and specific state professional learning standards (if applicable).
Chapter leader completes an application to be submitted to the State Educational Excellence Chair for approval of the plan. The application might include the following: Chapter Name, Name of Presenter and Email, Additional Presenters, Date, Location, Length of Presentation, Title of Presentation, Specific Description of the Presentation, what Learning Forward Professional Development Standards and state Teaching Standards are addressed through the presentation and the impact the presentation will have on student learning or school improvement.